Earlier in April, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced that clothing retailer Blair recalled over 160,000 of their Chenille robes due to a flammability hazard. The robes were allegedly responsible for the deaths of six women.
In a new development, WalletPop.com reported last week that Blair is expanding the recall to 138,000 robes, tops and jackets after a total of nine women have died from wearing the products.
So far, a majority of the deaths occurred to women while they were cooking. The CPSC attributes the malfunction due to the products’ failure to meet federal safety standards.
The CPSC also stated that the robes were manufactured by A-One Textile and Towel of Pakistan. The Los Angeles Times reported that the robes in the initial recall were labeled “100% Cotton, RN 81700, Made in Pakistan,” with the label item numbers 3093111, 3093112, 3093113, 3093114, 3093115 and 3093116, and were sold between January 2003 and March 2009.
The addition to the recall presently includes items which were sold between 2000 and 2007. A list of the defective products can be found on the CPSC’s report from October 22. If you own any of these products, you should stop wearing them immediately. Blair is offering a full refund or a $50 gift card.
If you would like more information about the product recall, you can visit Blair’s website, or e-mail Blair at email@example.com.