Fort Lauderdale and Weston, Florida Personal Injury Attorneys
“Words are free. It’s how you use them that may cost you.” – Anonymous
How often have we said things that we regretted later? Probably too many times.
In our world today every word we say, or Tweet, or include in a social media post, or email, may be used later to cause us problems. Phone calls are often recorded and there are video monitors practically everywhere we go.
If you are injured in any type of incident that was caused by someone else’s carelessness or negligence you have rights to compensation for your medical bills, your pain and suffering, and lost time from work. These rights may be jeopardized by statements made by you or by others which could be used to incriminate you or present a distorted picture of facts related to the event. Therefore, it’s a good idea to follow these basic guidelines regarding what you and don’t say after being involved in an accident:
- Always cooperate with the police and answer their questions truthfully, however you should never offer information which may be self-incriminating. You do not need to admit anything was your fault to anyone.
- After you are away from the scene of the accident you may be contacted by others including representatives of insurance companies. You are not required to talk with these people and at this point you will have already contacted a personal injury attorney. That attorney becomes the person to handle all communication going forward.
- Do not give a statement, recorded or written, to anyone without approval from your attorney.
- Never post statements or photographs about your accident on social media or anywhere else.
- Do not make statements about your physical condition. Injuries should be diagnosed by a physician and that information is strictly confidential and should remain that way.
- Speculation about what caused the accident, what contributed to the accident, the condition of other driver(s) or anything else is unnecessary can be harmful. Let your attorney conduct an investigation into the facts because only the facts are important.
The goal of every experienced personal injury attorney is to protect the rights of their client and gain the best possible outcome. We always work hard to see that our clients have the opportunity to recover financially, physically, and emotionally from their injuries.
If you have questions about any accident involving yourself, a friend, or a relative, feel free to call us 7 days a week at 954-356-0006.
The information provided on this website does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice; instead, all information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only.
No reader, user, or browser of this site should act or refrain from acting on the basis of information on this site without first seeking legal advice from counsel in the relevant jurisdiction.
Use of, and access to, this website or any of the links or resources contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between the reader, user, or browser and the Law Firm of Lazarus and Lazarus.