What is an accident? By definition, it is “an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap.” Another definition is: (law) “such a happening resulting in injury that is in no way the fault of the injured person for which compensation or indemnity is legally sought.”
The State of Florida changed their reports years ago from “accident reports” to “crash reports” we assume because law enforcement does not want to be as involved in determining fault for a crash, and it is usually better for that to be resolved in a court of law.
Whatever you call them, accidents or crashes, they’re both bad and should be avoided. Some feel there’s not much you can do about avoiding an accident, but we know that to be untrue. In fact, here are five things you can do to significantly reduce your chances of being in an accident.
- Always keep one hand on the steering wheel. You should really keep both hands on the wheel, but if you have to change the radio station, please don’t let go with the other hand. Very dangerous, and you would be surprised how often some people do this.
- Watch for red light runners. When your light turns green, count to three before you enter the intersection and look both ways. Never assume someone is going to stop at a red light or stop sign. Use caution always.
- Never tailgate. Remember the faster you are traveling, the more space you need to leave between your car and the car ahead of you.
- Back up slowly and carefully. Use your mirrors, but it’s a good idea to turn around and really look carefully for other cars and pedestrians when you back up. In parking lots, people with shopping carts will assume you see them and so they’ll just move right into your path. Take your time, it’s not a race.
- Finally, probably the most important tip to avoid an accident is to never text when you’re driving. Just put the phone down and don’t even think about it. If it beeps or rings, deal with it when you’ve arrived at your destination. Nothing is worth taking your eyes off the road.
Fort Lauderdale Accident Attorneys
We have been helping people injured in accidents across south Florida for over 20 years, and we find that almost every crash was preventable. Please be careful, but if you are injured in a crash it’s important to have someone on your side who can determine the cause and help you get the help you need to pay for medical bills, lost time from work, damages, and your pain and suffering. We work very hard for our clients and we’ve earned an excellent reputation for doing so. Reach out to us by calling 954-356-0006 if you would like to have a conversation.
Sepsis is a serious, potentially fatal infection that causes more fatalities in the U.S. than heart attacks. A recent study done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has found that almost two thirds of the total 258,000 annual deaths were not diagnosed in time by doctors and nurses. In some cases, this could be considered medical negligence.
There have been instances where people have died in a hospital or nursing home and their family is not told the truth about the cause of death. Many times people are left to assume that it was just “old age” but in truth it was a preventable issue: sepsis.
A thorough article about sepsis was published last year in U.S. News and World Report.
Early Detection of Sepsis is key to Recovery
According to the CDC, while delayed diagnosis sepsis can increase the risk of mortality, early detection can save lives. If the condition is diagnosed within six hours, the prognosis is pretty good. Another study has shown that the chances decrease over by 7 percent for each hour it goes untreated. The chances become bleak with every hour that the condition is left untreated.
Sepsis is Difficult to Diagnose
One reason that many cases of sepsis go undiagnosed and untreated is that there is no reliable test for it. Also, each patient experiences different symptoms. While there are some hospitals that have found ways to detect and prevent sepsis at an early stage, there are many others that still lack in this.
Have someone close to you been a victim of delayed sepsis diagnosis?
Fort Lauderdale Nursing Home Neglect Attorneys
Sepsis is a potentially fatal condition if not detected and treated in time. Also, it is possible to prevent, detect and manage the condition. If you or someone close to you has suffered from complications or fatality as a result of delayed diagnosis of sepsis, you have the right to pursue compensation for all the losses you have suffered.
The best thing to do if you suspect sepsis may have contributed to the deteriorating condition of a loved one, or their death, you may call us and arrange a confidential consultation. We can be reached at 954-356-0006.
Insurance is one of those things people hate to pay for, but when they need it they are very happy they did. Many people pay for insurance their entire lives and never actually use it. The insurance companies love those people. Others are constantly making claims for this or that and it all balances out in a system that isn’t perfect, but we have to deal with it.
Is there any big difference between one insurance company and another? Consumer Reports did some research and then produced ratings for car insurance companies and the results are interesting.
12 Best Car Insurance Companies – #1 is best:
- USAA Property & Casualty
- Amica Insurance
- New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company
- Erie Insurance Group
- Auto Club Enterprises Insurance Group
- Auto Club Insurance Association
- Auto-Owners Insurance Group of Companies
- Ameriprise Financial (IDS)
- State Farm
- State Auto Insurance Companies
12 Worst Car Insurance Companies – #1 is worst:
- Farmers Insurance
- Hanover Insurance
- Mapfre USA
- Liberty Mutual
- The Progressive Group of Insurance Companies
- AAA Northern California, Nevada & Utah Insurance Exchange
- The Hartford Financial Services Group
- Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company
- American Family
We have worked with all these companies, and while we will offer no opinions of our own on the quality of coverage or claim service, we will say that they all have good points and bad. Car insurance is necessary and mandatory, but working with them after an accident and getting the best compensation for your losses is sometimes best left to professionals.
Florida Automobile Insurance
We recommend that you do some rate comparisons and research on your own before making a decision. We also recommend that you obtain more than just the “basic” or required coverage. Many people call us and complain that after an accident they were left out in the cold when it came to having access to rental cars, quality repairs, and other reimbursements. Study your policy carefully and if possible sit down with an agent to go over the fine print.
Fort Lauderdale Accident Attorneys
If you have been involved in an accident and your company is not performing according to what you believe is fair and reasonable, give us a call. We’ll look over your policy and see what we can do to get you the compensation you deserve. We’re always here to talk at 954-356-0006.